About Me

My photo
India
love reading, listening to western classical music. teaching is my passion.I believe what Ayn Rand had said--"Well, have I taught you anything? I'll tell you: I've taught you a great deal and nothing. No one can teach you anything, not at the core, at the source of it. What you're doing--it's yours, not mine, I can only teach you to do it better. I can give you the means, but the aim--the aim's your own.." I believe in integrity- integrity of thoughts, ideas and ideals.

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Why should we encourage baking?


I have recently found a new joy in my life and wish to share it with you. It is baking. Sunday baking is starting to become a ritual that everybody is looking forward to. As soon as I clear the table and start putting pots and pans, flour and measuring spoons, there is an excitement in the air. Questions start – “what is it you are baking? “ ,“Is it high calorie? Will it have eggs? “, “How long will it take? Shall we have it for tea or as dessert after dinner?’...
One hour on and my apartment starts to smell heavenly. Two months of this and I have come to realize two things- it is a great learning experience for children.
See if you can coax your child to this wonderful world... but first, do some research- know the names of young Masterchef winners... salary paid to a patisserie chef .. Why? Believe me today’s generation is smart. They will ask you this before they even drag their eyes away from the TV.
Once you have got them interested, unknowingly, you will achieve two things- your child is going to learn patience as the bread or pastry rises in the oven, and, you will teach them ratio- okay, I agree, it would be little tough on your part to see a perfectly good cake going to be ruined because the amount of sugar or baking powder is not in right proportion. But, with practice, the children will learn fast. And it provides some “quality time” that is now in vogue.
So happy baking to you and your child. Sit down and have a homemade chocolate cake this Sunday and experience the joy of sharing time with your child.

No comments:

Post a Comment